Xnoise is aiming to be fast and easy to use, and after testing its latest version for a few hours today I can confirm it succeeds. The main features of the player are:
- Support for Video files playback
- ID3 tag editing
- Lyrics fetching using 3 different lyrics websites (all three lyrics plugins included by default)
- Automatic album art fetching
- “Now playing” tab that displays album art
- Fast metadata library search
- Ability to play any GStreamer media
- Last.fm integration
- Smart Notifications
- Ability to extend by installing more extensions
You can see most of these features in action on the following video:
It is true that Xnoise is not packed with features that will cover every single need one could have, but it certainly is useful for those who want to do the “main” media playback everyday things fast, stable and easy. The latest version is 0.2.3 and sounds a lot more unstable than it actually is.
It came out just today and you can find it on this website. Ubuntu users use this ppa:shkn/xnoise at your own risk.