Gnome Shell 3.7.1 Changes
The 3.7.1 tag announced as always by Florian Müllner.
- Add shortcut to open application view directly [Jeremy; #685738]
- Expose ‘<Super>F10’ shortcut in System Settings [Florian; #672909]
- Clean up timestamp format in chat notifications [Carlos; #680989]
- loginScreen: Add support for ‘disable-restart-buttons’ [Florian; #686247]
- Update textures automatically on file changes [Florian; #679268]
- Implement org.gnome.ScreenSaver.GetActiveTime [Giovanni; #686064]
- Add missing translations for GSetting schema [Giovanni; #686413]
- Hide workspace switcher completely when it’s not necessary [Seif; #686483]
- Explicitly load gnome-screensaver when not running GDM [Tim; #683060]
- Port to GnomeIdleMonitor [Jasper; #682224]
- Set Empathy as preferred handler when delegating channels [Xavier; #686296]
- Allow testing GDM login dialog from the session [Giovanni; #683725]
- Use all available space for windows in window picker [Jasper, Pierre-Eric; #582650]
- Use logind for suspend if available [Florian; #686482]
Misc. fixes and cleanups [Jasper, Florian, Adel, Rui]
- js: Don’t use clutter_actor_get_children unnecessarily | #677426
- Bunch of assorted changes | #680426
- Error message in ‘Run’ should use a symbolic icon | #686233
- autorunManager: Stop erring on the side of caution for network mounts | #686241
- Drop calls to g_type_init() | #686318
- messageTray: Remove hack for the lack of negative units in libcroco | #686240
- userMenu: Hide menu immediately before suspending #686484
- Clean up workspacesView a bit #686002
- When there’s only one user, pressing enter should trigger the password text dialog | #684650
- workspacesView: Fix some errors in code paths for non-default settings | #686487
Regarding “Add shortcut to open application view directly”, that already works in Ubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome with 3.6. Super+A Opens Apps Overview. Other Distros should go “Super” and then Ctrl+Alt+Tab.
By the way the new Keyboard Shortcuts (that basically replace Alt with Super) is possible (but not sure yet) to land in Gnome 3.8. Such changes can be made only once :)
Florian also announced the Mutter 3.7.1 release ..and he actually made the one and only commit :)
- screen: Ignore num-workspaces when using dynamic workspaces [Florian; #685439]
Question | What is Gnome?
This is a tricky question. Is it Ubuntu (and Mint) a Gnome with a different Shell? If I install Unity or Cinnamon in Fedora, would be still called a Gnome Desktop? This is where the Gnome OS definition comes to replace Gnome Desktop.
Lately people tend to refer on Gnome Shell as Gnome, which isn’t either correct (Gnome consists from about 120 modules, GS is just one of them), but isn’t either wrong (Ubuntu has many Gnome modules but still isn’t Gnome because doesn’t use GS).
I think that Gnome Shell had such a huge impact that overcome the Gnome itself. So I guess is alright to spend more time in Gnome Shell ;)
Hmm ..What Reminds me?
Gnome Cast …
Spot 10 differences and win ..various prizes :)