Gnomers stands for Gnome People or Gnome Developers etc. I made up that term to save some space on titles and I hope you to be ok with it :)
Back to the news, what we were missing from Gnome was a way to clear all our cached data and saved passwords without needing to check each app separately. That featured came in Ubuntu 12.04 and was awesome.
Of course Ubuntu and Gnome still don’t get well each other plus Ubuntu is planning to drop Gnome Control Center and fork its own. Well, go ahead Canonical we don’t care cause Gnome will get its own privacy tools ;)
Privacy is all about sharing and therefore Gnomers will also build an easy to set up sharing mechanism like OS X has.
William McCann says:
“The goal of this panel is to provide the user with a way to visualize and control what information is being shared or stored. It allows the user to define what is private and what is public. In some cases the distinction may depend on the location of the user. Information at “home” may be shared more liberally than in a public space like a coffee shop.”
While these features haven’t yet been designed and won’t be included in three-point-six release, there aren’t just another proposal. Big names in Gnome’s playground are involved on this like Nocera, McCann, Allan and others.
Just some early mockups to get an idea how things might will look like..
- Quickly visualize all forms for shared content and connections, including:
internet connection sharing (hotspot)
remote access (ssh)
desktop sharing (vnc, etc)
music/media sharing (rhythmbox, rygel)
file sharing (nautilus, gnome-user-share)
peer-to-peer file sharing (bittorrent etc)
bluetooth paired devices
- Control how you appear on the network
bluetooth in discovery mode
computer identity (computer name)
mdns profile (avahi)
- Provide a way to see what information about you the system has stored
- Be able to clear out stored personal information
- Remote control pairing (whether a builtin infrared port is enabled, and any remote can work with it)
- Hide the family and cat pictures from the coffee shop dwellers
- Don’t advertise your downloaded TV series to the whole office
- See that you have a world-writable file share when going to a black hat conference
More news in the next few days!