Gnome Calculator Rename
Robert Ancell made the commit that changes the name from gcalctool to gnome-calculator (Oct 15).
Porting to Vala
Ok that is a bit old (Oct 14) but I just noticed. Robert Ancell committed a huge patch that changes 74 files, removes 18179 lines of C code and adds 13318 lines of Vala. ~1/3 of the code is gone!
In the bug report (bug #640685) Robert says:
It would be nice to drop C for good and move to Vala…
- Modern syntax will attract new developers
- No manual management of reference counting
- Less code means easier maintenance
We’ve converted most of the legacy code to GObject code so this shouldn’t be too hard now. What’s blocking this right now is:
- The parser/lexer (a big chunk of work, see 589569)
- The MP math library (probably not too hard to fix)
And of course the question is why the new Gnome modules aren’t written in Vala? Vala was created to make Gnome a more rapid development and hacker-friendly platform, ..anyway.
Vala port works fine, at least as far as I’ve tried it and it will come with Gnome 3.8.