A week ago Bastien Nocera (maintainer of G-Videos) informed Gnome Community that he might won’t have the refresh UI of Videos ready for 3.10. Today he just confirmed this via Gnome Desktop Develop Mailing Lists.
Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll have time to finish the work on Videos for GNOME 3.10, so I’ve branched off gnome-3-8 instead.
But bug fixes will arrive anyway.
The current GNOME 3.8 branch contains loads of bug fixes that were backported from master, including:
- Restored streaming from Vimeo
- VA-API support
- Bug fixes for videos on remote shares
- Better playback and buffering for videos on remote shares
That is the second postpone for the new UI of Videos that was originally planned for 3.8 release.
Videos from Master. It needs some more work to match designs.
Towards Videos 3.12
Bastien also gave a _whiteboard_ roadmap towards to 3.12 release, scheduled for March 2014.
Some of the new features -except the redesign part and the Cloud sync- include
#691259 Support remote display
Similar to DLNA, Videos will be able to seamlessly connected wireless from one device to another and deliver high definition video. For example, from a Laptop to a Smartphone, from a Tablet to TV etc. They will use Korva for that and might also reuse Intel’s dLeyna exciting implementation that has already arrived for GNOME Photos 3.10 (bug #701775).
#697896 Add Gestures
GNOME Videos in 3.12 is planned to have Gestures Support. Some early ideas.
- 1-finger Swipe right/left -> skip (same as right/left arrows)
- 2-finger Swipe right/left -> next/previous tracks (same as n/b)
- 1-finger Swipe up/down -> change volume
- 2-finger Swipe up/down -> enable/disable remote display (when we have that feature…)
- zoom action (pinch movement) -> zoom in/out
- rotate action (2 finger rotation) -> rotate
Interested folks can take a look at the master branch, and the bugs listed with the 3.12 whiteboard status. There’s a few low-hanging fruits there: