It is one of those “new versions” days again were new bug fixing versions for applications, libraries and components for the Gnome desktop environment are released.
This time it is about the stable or unstable branches of Vala, Empathy, Epiphany, gThumb, WebkitGTK+, Nautilus, Seahorse, Gdm, Eye of Gnome, File Roller, Evince, GTK3, Clutter and Mutter that will be analysed on another article and GLib.
Empathy is a messaging program which supports text, voice, and video chat and file transfers over many different protocols. Empathy is the default chat client in GNOME, and is based on the Telepathy framework, making it easier for other GNOME applications to integrate collaboration functionality.
- Fixed #656097, Empathy should show an informative text inside the contact list when no contacts are online (Xavier Claessens)
- Fixed #658858, Hide offline contacts by default
- Fixed #662986, Messaging and VoIP Accounts in Applications list (Guillaume Desmottes)
- Fixed #680302, Move model logic out of EmpathyRosterView
- Fixed #680774, Migrate existing accounts into libaccounts (Xavier Claessens)
- Fixed #680775, Be able to edit params of non SSO accounts (Guillaume Desmottes)
- Fixed #680778, Stop using empathy-accounts (Guillaume Desmottes)
- Fixed #681444, Wrong Service for GTalk accounts (Xavier Claessens)
- Fixed #681598, FTBFS: account plugins linking (Guillaume Desmottes)
- Updated as Translation (Nilamdyuti Goswami)
- Updated el Translation (Tom Tryfonidis)
- Updated gl Translation (Fran Di?guez)
- Updated he Translation (Yaron Shahrabani)
- Updated it Translation (Milo Casagrande)
- Updated kn Translation (Shankar Prasad)
- Updated mr Translation (Sandeep Sheshrao Shedmake)
- Updated sr@latin Translation
- Updated sr Translation
Vala is a new programming language that aims to bring modern programming language features to GNOME developers without imposing any additional runtime requirements and without using a different ABI compared to applications and libraries written in C.
- Support subclassing of GLib.Source.
- Switch pango bindings to .gir.
- Add gstreamer-1.0 core bindings.
- Add gst-plugins-base-1.0 bindings.
- Add gobject-introspection-1.0 bindings.
- Bug fixes and binding updates.
Gthumb is an Image browser and viewer for the GNOME Desktop.With Gthumb you can view single images ( BMP, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, ICO, XPM – including GIF animations), rotated, flipped, in black and white, and in fullscreen mode.
- Fixed fullscreen toolbars with multiple monitors.
- Fixed error when rotating keeping the origina size.
- Photobucket exporter: fixed crash when closing the dialog.
- Fixed broken video thumbnail (#666303)
- Delete key does nothing when image first opened (#678441)
- Picasa Web exporter: images not displayed in the export dialog (#679546)
- Fix parallel build problems with enum generation.
- Chinese (Hong Kong) (taijuin)
- Chinese (simplified) (tuhaihe)
- Chinese/Traditional (taijuin)
- Latvian (R?dolfs Mazurs)
- Deutsch (Daniel Winzen)
- Slovenian Translation
WebKitGTK+ is the GNOME platform port of the WebKit rendering engine. Offering WebKit’s full functionality through a set of GObject-based APIs, it is suitable for projects requiring any kind of web integration, from hybrid HTML/CSS applications to full-fledged web browsers.
- Fix several security issues with accessibility support.
- Finishing merging NPAPI plugin support for Windows.
- Turn off the deletion UI during editing, as it caused issues with some sites.
Epiphany is a GNOME web browser based on the WebKitGTK rendering engine. Epiphany aims to utilize the simplest interface possible for a browser.It also address simplicity with modularity to make a light and powerful application.
- Rewrite EphyEncoding(s) so that it does not use EphyNode anymore. Add tests for their APIs. (#680735)
- Remove Seed support for extensions. Seed is unmaintained and there are no useful extensions written in it. Hopefully this will change in the future, but for now drop this code.
- Make the browser recover from broken session state files (#680590)
- Stop setting ‘persist-key’ in our filechooser (#655508)
- Do not copy history from parent tab when doing Ctrl+T (#651918)
- Suggest the right name in ‘Save As’ more often, using the information available in the Content-Disposition headers. (#674291)
- Add a ‘enable-webaudio’ setting, false by default.
- Port disk cache, inspector and spell-checking to WebKit2.
- Many other bugfixes and cleanups.
Nautilus is the window to a network user environment that integrates access to files, applications, media, Internet-based services and the Web to deliver a dynamic and rich user experience. Nautilus is an open source project being developed under the GPL (GNU Public License) and is a core component of the GNOMEdesktop project.
- Reorganize application and gear menu, and add a menu for view actions
- Add a View options selector to the toolbar
- Add cluebars for Templates and Scripts special directories
- Add ability to reorder bookmarks
- Improve strings in the Autorun prompt
- Improve error message strings
- Improve the image Properties page
- Improve the Permissions page in the Properties window
- Improve the layout of the Bookmarks dialog
- Use the dropped text paragraph as name when creating new files using DnD of text snippets
- Use double quotes instead of ASCII quotes for filenames
- Change default action for executable text files to Display
- Change the view mode and zoom level to be per-window instead of per-folder
- Remove support for Manual layouting in icon views outside of Desktop
- Remove the Octal permissions list view column
- Fix segfault when no search results are found
Seahorse is a Gnome front end for GnuPG – the Gnu Privacy Guard file encryption/decryption program. Seahorse integrates with nautilus, gedit and other places for encryption operations. Both English and Japanese support is provided.
- Updated translations
Tomboy is a simple note-taking application designed to be unobtrusive and friendly, while supporting inter-note links similar to a WikiWikiWeb to help you organize your notes and ideas. It can run either as a Gnome panel applet or a notification tray-icon. Tomboy supports many advanced editing features, but they won’t bother you until you need them.
- Translation updates: ja
The Gnome Display Manager is a reimplementation of the well known xdm program. GDM features: X Authentication, default and per-display initialization scripts, pre and post session scripts, Pluggable Authentication Modules, XDMCP, TCP Wrappers for access control and host chooser.
- Reauthentication fixes
- Change user-switching mechanism from gdmflexiserver helper to libgdm
- Set KRB5CCNAME environment variable for session
- Memory leaks and other misc fixes
- Translation updates
Eye of Gnome 3.5.90
Eye of Gnome is the default image viewer for the Gnome Desktop. Beside the general image viewing component (which is also used by the Nautilus filemanager), there is now a first version of a photo collection view. Of course, this can be also used inside Nautilus eg. for watching slide shows. Optionally, Eye of Gnome can make use of EXIF information, stored in digital camera images.
- Updated documentation (Fabiana Simões, Tiffany Antopolski)
- Build help using yelp-tools instead of gnome-doc-utils (Javier Jardón)
- Support for per-instance plugins (Felix Riemann)
- #682028, Port to new documentation infrastructure (Javier Jardón)
- Khaled Hosny [ar]
- Daniel Mustieles, Miguel Rodriguez [es]
- Fran Diéguez, Leandro Regueiro [gl]
- Yaron Shahrabani [he]
- Dirgita [id]
- Muhammet Kara [tr]
- Chao-Hsiung Liao [zh_HK, zh_TW]
File Roller 3.5.90
File Roller is an archive manager. It lets you open, modify extract archive files sush as tar and zip.
New features and user visible changes:
- Use a single ‘Add files’ dialog that allows to add both files and folder instead of having two separated commands ‘Add files’ and ‘Add folder’.
- Make the “New Archive” dialog look like the “Compress” dialog (#681232)
- Extract dialog: always ask whether to overwrite existing files (removed the overwrite option)
- Properties dialog: allow to open the archive’s folder.
- ‘Add files’ dialog: added option to follow symbolic links.
- Edit->Password applies the password to already existing files in the archive (#144391)
- Password dialog: show an error message when the password is wrong.
- File list sorting: always keep the directories first, even when sorting in reverse order.
- Removed non existant keys from the .convert file. (#682022)
- Fixed crash when opening compressed files. (#681766)
- Fixed crash when extracting an archive from the nautilus context menu. (#681473)
- Fixed crash when extracting from the Extract dialog.
New or updated application translations:
- Arabic (Khaled Hosny)
- Assamese (Nilamdyuti Goswami)
- Belarusian (Ihar Hrachyshka)
- Chinese (Hong Kong) (Chao-Hsiung Liao)
- Chinese (traditional) (Chao-Hsiung Liao)
- Deutsch (Hedda Peters)
- Español (Daniel Mustieles)
- Galego (Leandro Regueiro)
- Gujarati (Sweta Kothari)
- Hebrew (Yaron Shahrabani)
- Indonesian (Dirgita)
- Marathi (Sandeep Shedmake)
- Punjabi/Panjabi (A S Alam)
- Serbian (Miroslav Nikolić)
- Turkish (Muhammet Kara)
New or updated manual translations:
- Español (Daniel Mustieles)
- Galician (Fran Diégeuz)
- German (Mario Blättermann)
- Russian (Yuri Myasoedov)
Evince is a document viewer for multiple document formats. It currently supports pdf, postscript, djvu, tiff and dvi. The goal of evince is to replace the multiple document viewers that exist on the GNOME Desktop with a single simple application.
- Disconnect all model signals for EvView before unreffing the EvDocumentModel (#680023, Carlos Garcia Campos)
- Use new documentation infrastructure (#681606, Javier Jardón)
- Tom Tryfonidis (el)
- Daniel Mustieles (es)
- Leandro Regueiro (gl)
- Takayuki KUSANO (ja)
- Sandeep Shedmake (mr)
- Aleksey Kabanov (ru)
GTK+ is a multi-platform toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces. Offering a complete set of widgets, GTK+ is suitable for projects ranging from small one-off projects to complete application suites.
- Add gtk_application_get_active_window to get the active window
- Add gtk_widget_insert_action_group to allow more flexibility when associating widgets with actions
- The gtk_menu_button_set_menu function is getting renamed to gtk_menu_button_set_popup. The old name is still available for now, but will be removed before 3.6
- use CSS properties instead of style properties for padding
Input method support:
- GtkEntry and GtkTextView now have input-purpose and input-hints properties that let applications provide useful hints to input methods, like ‘this entry is for a phone nr’.
- 373279 Toggling a GtkToggleButton emits “clicked”, not “toggled”
- 651244 Add a “purpose” tag for GtkEntries
- 673478 Chain up notify implementations
- 681577 Missing mnemonic in “Find applications online”
- 681591 Masked string for password fields is not exposed to accessibility
- 681613 icon view doesn’t emit selection changed when the model changes
- 682193 404 in GTK+ docs for duplicated “stable” URL suffix to ATK link
- 682235 gtkmenubutton: repurpose set_menu for GMenuModel
- Traditional Chinese